| || |
Questions to Ask
Before you visit, spend some time thinking about all the things you are looking for in a childminder. Make a list of questions – use the ones below as a starting point. Childminders are used to reassuring parents and will often be able to offer you information on many more things.
Ask about the Childminder…
- How long have you been a childminder?
- What do you enjoy most about the job?
- Why did you decide to become a childminder?
- Do you have any children of your own?
- Do you have any relevant qualifications?
- What training have you done?
- Do you belong to the Croydon Childminding Network?
Ask about the Setting
- How many can you care for and how many do you currently have? How old are the other children?
- What do you do with the children during the day?
- What kind of activities do you do outside of your childminding setting? Stay and Play, Rhymetimes, local classes?
- Do you have pets or a garden?
- How do you transport children? If it is by car do you have suitable seats, insurance and a well maintained car?
- How do you make sure the individual needs of each child are met?
- How will you keep me informed of my child’s development and progress?
- How do you maintain good working relationships with parents?
- What would you do in an emergency involving yourself or one of the children?
- What do you consider unacceptable behaviour and how do you deal with it?
- What kind of food policy do you have and what food do you provide? Is this included in the cost?
- Which festivals and special occasions do you celebrate?
- What do you do about holidays – both ours, yours and public ones?
Ask about Paperwork
- Can you give me your registration number or show me your registration and insurance certificates?
- Can you show me your most recent OFSTED inspection report and what grading did you get (Outstanding, Good, Satisfactory, Inadequate)
- Can I see any feedback from parents?
- Can I see an example of the type of records you keep on the children?
When you first meet your childminder you should ask to see paperwork they are required to have in order to conform with their registration requirements.
- Ofsted Registration Certificate with Registration Number and conditions of registration
- Valid Public Liability Insurance
- First Aid Certificate Valid for 3 yrs
- Ofsted Inspection Report (unless newly registered)
- Car Insurance Certificate showing Business Use
- Incident/Accident Records
- Medicine Records
- Attendance Register
- Permission Forms
- CRB Clearances (only those registered since 2002)
- Certificates of training/Qualifications
- Policies and procedures
- Parent Feedback/References/Thank you cards
- Contact Book
- Observations and development records
Questions about costs, contracts, notice periods, settling in dates, childcare vouchers, payment details can all be done once you have made a decision to progress.
For further information or support on your decision please contact Croydon Childminding Association. For further information please call:
Croydon Childminding Association